This is the absolute Best Gracielita Salad!
There was a restaurant called Emilio’s Gourmet in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. My family and I were regulars on weekend nights or weekdays for lunch. Unfortunately, Emilio’s been closed for more than 5 years now. Since then, the recipe I’ve missed the most from their menu is their Gracielita Salad.
This recipe is my attempt to bring back this simple, delicious salad I miss so much from Emilio’s. I’ve been making this recipe at home since Emilio closed. I’m sure family members will love to see this one posted. <3
- Easy and Quick: my go-to salads when I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen but want to eat healthily. It is super simple and easy to make and has the perfect amount of protein, carbs, and fat for a nutritious lunch or dinner.
- Tasty: I love the flavor of the garlic and dried oregano dressing; it brings this simple salad to life.
- Healthy: When I decide to go on a diet from time to time, this is one of my go-to recipes. I enjoy it so much that I forget I’m on a Diet and back in Emilio’s Enjoying this delicious salad.
- Make Ahead: I make this recipe and store it in a Jar with a lid in the fridge for up to 3 days until ready to eat. The trick is the order of the ingredients, starting with the mozzarella on the bottom, then the ham, and lastly, the lettuce. I prefer to add the dressing when I’m ready to eat it. Still, if you want to add it to the jar, add the dressing before adding the mozzarella. That way, the dressing is at the bottom of the jar and marinates the cheese while it sits in the fridge. When storing it in a jar, I recommend storing it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Low Sodium Deli Ham
- Romaine Lettuce
- Cherry Tomatoes: I know, I know…the photos don’t have the cherry tomatoes and avocado. I promise I will redo the images; I couldn’t wait to post this recipe because it is so deliciously simple!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
- Start by mixing all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Set aside.
Salad: In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped romaine lettuce, the mozzarella, and the deli ham and toss everything together. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of dressing and mix everything until everything is well coated. That is it! Enjoy!
Ham: I use Low-Sodium Ham or Rosemary Ham (Costco). I wouldn’t recommend using sweet ham; the flavor profile could change completely.
Jar with Lid: You can make Gracielita Salad recipe ahead by prepping all the ingredients and storing it in a 32-ounce glass jar with a lid. I recommend adding the dressing once you are ready to eat the salad. Start with the mozzarella on the bottom, followed by the ham, avocado, cherry tomato, and finally, the lettuce.