This Sesame Tuna Salad recipe is a perfect blend of textures, colors, and flavors that will leave you satisfied and nourished. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, this salad is not only delicious but also a wholesome meal option. Let’s dive into the recipe and learn how to create this refreshing dish.
Why I Love It
- Nutritional Powerhouse: This salad is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, making it an excellent choice for a healthy meal. The combination of kale, spinach, carrots, purple cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, and edamame provides an array of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, promoting overall wellness and supporting a strong immune system.
- Protein-Rich: The seared tuna steak in this salad is an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, supporting muscle health, and providing a feeling of satiety, making this salad a satisfying and well-balanced meal option.
- Delicious Flavor Profile: The combination of flavors in this salad is simply delightful—the tangy and creamy dressing with a hint of sweetness pairs perfectly with the fresh and crisp greens. The nutty toasted sesame seeds and almonds add a satisfying crunch, while the goat cheese provides a creamy and tangy element. The seared tuna adds a delicate and savory taste, bringing all the flavors together harmoniously.
- Quick and Easy: This salad comes together relatively quickly, making it perfect for a weekday lunch or dinner. With a few simple steps, you can have a nutritious and delicious meal on the table in no time. It’s a convenient option for those busy days when you want a healthy and satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Satisfying and Filling: With the combination of protein from the tuna, fiber from the greens and vegetables, and healthy fats from the dressing and avocado, this salad is not only nutritious but also filling. It provides a satisfying meal that will keep you energized and satiated throughout the day.
Overall, this Sesame Tuna Salad is a recipe to love because it offers a perfect balance of flavors, textures, and nutritional benefits. It’s a refreshing, versatile, and wholesome meal option that will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied. Give it a try and discover the joy of indulging in a delicious and healthy salad!
What Are The Ingredients
- Sesame Seeds: These tiny, golden seeds are toasted to enhance their nutty flavor and provide a delightful crunch to the salad.
- Tuna Steak: A fresh and high-quality cut of tuna, seared to perfection, and then sliced into thin strips. It offers a tender texture and a delicate, savory taste that complements the other ingredients.
- Kale: A leafy green vegetable known for its nutritional benefits, kale brings a hearty texture and earthy flavor to the salad. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Baby Spinach: Its tender leaves and mild taste adds a delicate and slightly sweet note to the salad. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- Carrot: Shredded carrots provide a vibrant orange color and a subtle sweetness to the salad. They are a great source of fiber and essential nutrients.
- Purple Cabbage: Thinly shredded purple cabbage adds a pop of vibrant color and provides a satisfying crunch and a slightly peppery flavor. It’s rich in antioxidants and nutrients.
- Tomato: Fresh tomatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces, contribute juicy texture, natural sweetness, and a touch of acidity to balance the flavors of the salad.
- Avocado: Creamy and buttery, diced avocado adds a luxurious texture and a mild, nutty flavor to the salad. It also provides healthy fats and nutrients.
- Edamame: These young soybeans, cooked and unshelled, offer a delightful pop of green color and a slightly nutty taste. They are a good source of plant-based protein and fiber.
- Goat Cheese: Crumbled goat cheese adds a tangy and creamy element to the salad, enhancing the overall richness and flavor.
- Sliced Almonds: Toasted sliced almonds provide a satisfying crunch and a subtle nutty flavor, enhancing the textural contrast in the salad.
How To Make Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna Salad
- Prep the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, and Greek yogurt (if using) until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This dressing will add a tangy and creamy element to the salad.
- Toast the Sesame Seeds: Heat the sesame oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly toasted. This will enhance the nutty flavor of the seeds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prep the Tuna: Take the seared tuna steak and slice it into thin strips. This tender and succulent fish will be the star protein of our salad.
- Prep the Greens: Combine the chopped kale, baby spinach, shredded carrot, purple cabbage, chopped tomato, cubed avocado, and cooked edamame in a large salad bowl. These vibrant and nutritious greens will provide a variety of textures and flavors to the salad.
- Add the Cheese: Add the crumbled goat cheese to the salad bowl. This creamy and tangy cheese will add a delightful richness to each bite.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients. The dressing will evenly distribute the flavors and bring the salad together.
- Divide the salad into two plates or bowls, creating generous portions for serving.
- Place the sliced seared tuna on top of each portion of the salad. The tuna’s tender texture and subtle flavor will complement the other ingredients perfectly.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and sliced almonds over the salads. These crunchy toppings will provide an additional layer of texture and a delightful nuttiness.
- Serve the Sesame Tuna Salad immediately and savor the vibrant flavors and refreshing combination of ingredients.
Here are some tips to enhance your preparation of the Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna Salad:
- Choose fresh and high-quality tuna: Opt for sushi-grade Ahi tuna for the best flavor and texture. Freshness is key to achieving a delicious seared tuna.
- Preheat your pan: Ensure that your pan is hot before searing the tuna. A hot pan will create a nice sear on the outside while keeping the inside tender and juicy.
- Brief searing time: Ahi tuna is best enjoyed rare or medium-rare. Sear each side for 1-2 minutes to maintain the desired pink center and prevent the tuna from overcooking.
- Toast the sesame seeds: Toasting the sesame seeds enhances their nutty flavor and brings a delightful crunch to the salad. Toast them in a dry pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden.
- Don’t overdress the salad: Start with a light amount of dressing and gradually add more as needed. You want to coat the ingredients without overpowering the flavors.
- Toss the salad gently: To evenly distribute the dressing and ensure every bite is flavorful, use gentle tossing motions when combining the ingredients. Avoid crushing delicate greens or ingredients while mixing.
- Serve immediately: For the best texture and taste, serve the Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna Salad immediately after assembling. This will maintain the freshness and integrity of the ingredients.
- Experiment with toppings: Feel free to personalize your salad by adding toppings such as sliced radishes, cucumber, or crispy wonton strips for added texture and flavor.
Make Ahead Tips
While it’s best to serve the Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna Salad immediately after assembling it for optimal freshness and texture, you can prepare certain components ahead of time to save on preparation time. Here’s how you can make it ahead:
- Dressing: You can prepare the dressing in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, keep in mind that some separation may occur, so give it a good shake before using.
- Chopped Vegetables: You can chop and prepare the kale, baby spinach, shredded carrots, and purple cabbage ahead of time. Store them in a jar or in any airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to a day or two.
- Toasted Sesame Seeds: Toast the sesame seeds ahead of time and store them in a sealed container at room temperature until ready to use.
- Tuna Searing: Searing the tuna is best done right before serving to maintain its freshness and tenderness. It is not recommended to sear the tuna ahead of time.
By preparing the dressing and chopping the vegetables in advance, you can save some time when it comes to assembling the salad. When you’re ready to serve, combine the prepped ingredients, sear the tuna, and assemble the salad with the dressing. This way, you can still enjoy a fresh and flavorful Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna Salad while streamlining your preparation process.