Discover the ultimate crispy crust garlic and parsley pizza recipe. Thin, golden, and bursting with flavor. Elevate your pizza game today!”
Why I Love It
You would never think of ordering a Garlic and Parsley Pizza at a pizzeria. But in Santo Domingo, this is the most popular dish in a famous pizzeria called Il Capo Pizzeria. Il Capo has a unique recipe for their pizzas. You can’t find the crunchy cookie texture of the dough, nor the sweet/savory tomato sauce anywhere else. This is why Il Capo has been open since 1979 and it remains one of the most popular pizzerias in town.
Top pizzas on the menu are the Garlic and Parsley Pizza (Pizza de Ajo y Perejil) and the Corn Pizza (Humita).
I crave these recipes so much that I’m attempting to recreate it. Here is my version of Il Capo’s Crispy Crust Garlic & Parsley Pizza.
What are the Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Active dry yeast
- Warm water
- 1Avocado Oil
- Tomato Paste
- Ground oregano
- Red crushed red pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Low-moisture mozzarella cheese
How To Make Crispy Crust Garlic and Parsley Pizza
1. The Dough: In a large bowl, sift the flour; add salt and sugar and mix well. Aside, combine the water and active dry yeast. Add the water, active dry yeast mix to the flour, plus the avocado oil. Mix well for about 5 minutes in the mixer until dough forms. It will be a little sticky. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the Dough for 5-6 minutes. The Dough should feel soft. Poke it with your finger; your Dough is ready to rise if it slowly bounces back. If not, keep kneading.
Place the Dough back in the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise for 15-30 minutes or until it doubles its original size.
2. Tomato Sauce:
Add the tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, and ground oregano in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the tomato sauce until all is well combined. Turn off the heat and set aside.
3. Toppings: Prepare the cheese by mixing the parsley, garlic, and mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
4. Build the Pizza: When the Dough is ready, punch it to release air bubbles and divide it into 2 equal parts. Form 2 balls. Preheat the oven to 450 F
Prepare the Pizza Pan:
- Coat the pan with avocado oil. Place one of the dough balls on top of the pan and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Once the 20 minutes have passed, flatten, shape, and stretch the Dough with your fingers into the pizza pan, brush with 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce, leaving the edges without tomato sauce, and bake for 3-5 minutes at 450 F.
- Once the 5 minutes have passed, take the Pizza out of the oven, and wait for it to cool down for about 15 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of tomato sauce (or to taste) and sprinkle Garlic and Parsley cheese mixture on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 F, until the crust is golden and crispy, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the Pizza from the oven, let it cool for a couple of minutes, and transfer it to a cutting board.
- Slice and enjoy
- For Crispy Crust: Use high heat: Preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible. The intense heat is essential for achieving a crispy crust. A temperature of 450°F or higher is ideal.
- Precook the crust: If you prefer an extra crispy crust, you can partially bake the Dough before adding toppings. This technique, known as “pre-baking,” allows the crust to become firm and crisp before adding sauce, cheese, and other ingredients. Brush the crust with oil: Before baking, brush the outer edge of the crust with olive oil or melted butter. This helps to create a golden and crispy crust.
- For the Sauce: Simmer the sauce: Simmering the sauce over low heat for an extended period allows the flavors to develop and intensify. This slow-cooking process helps to concentrate the natural sweetness of the tomatoes. It enhances the overall taste of the sauce.