A fusion of flavors: tender chicken, smoky ham, Swiss cheese, and caramelized plantains. Sweet meets savory in this delectable dish.
Why I Love It
Welcome to a culinary adventure where traditional flavors meet a tropical twist. Today, we’re diving into the Sweet Plantain Chicken Cordon Bleu world—a delightful fusion of savory and sweet that will leave your taste buds craving more.
Prepare to embark on a flavor-packed journey as we explore this unique twist on a classic dish.
What Are The Ingredients
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 Slices of Deli Ham
- 8 Slices of Swiss Cheese
- 6 slices of Sweet Plantain, fried
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup of Kellogg’s Cornflakes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
For de Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices of Prosciutto, chopped
How To Make Sweet Plantain Chicken Cordon Bleu
Prepare the Chicken
- Using a paper towel, pat the chicken dry.
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally using a sharp knife to create two pieces.
- Put the chicken breast halves between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to flatten them into thin and even pieces, being careful not to tear the meat.
- Once the chicken is flattened, roll the ham, cheese, and sweet plantain, and put it in the center of the flattened chicken breast until it covers the ham, cheese, and plantain roll.
- Roll the chicken tightly, tucking the sides, and place it on a fresh plastic wrap.
- Wrap the chicken tightly in the plastic wrap, pinching the excess plastic on the sides to create a tootsie-roll shape and twisting them to make a firm chicken roll.
- Keep the wrapped chicken bundles in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to one day before cooking.
Preheat the Oven to 375 F
Remove the chicken from the fridge and unwrap it, seasoning with salt and pepper. Put cornflakes in a food processor and pulse them into fine crumbs. Add the crumbs to a bowl. Melt the butter in a separate bowl.
Coat the Chicken: Dip the Chicken Bundles in the melted butter and then into the cornflake’s crumbs, pressing lightly to help the crumbs stick to the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a lightly greased baking sheet and bake it on the center oven rack for around 30 minutes or until it is fully cooked.
Make the Sauce:
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour to the pan and whisk until it forms a smooth paste.
- Continue whisking the mixture for a couple of minutes until it becomes a light golden brown.
- Gradually pour the milk into the pan, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps forming in the sauce.
- Once all the milk is added, turn the heat to medium-high and continue whisking until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth, around 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese to the sauce.
- Mix well and let the sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add prosciutto bits once the sauce has reached the desired thickness and mix well.
Once the Chicken is done Cooking, Drizzle Sauce all over and serve.
Flatten the Chicken Breast: To ensure even cooking and make it easier to roll, place the chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper and gently pound it with a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy pan. Be careful not to pound too hard; you don’t want to tear the chicken.
Stuff with Quality Ingredients: Choose high-quality ham and Swiss cheese for the stuffing. Thinly sliced deli ham works well, and Swiss cheese provides a creamy and nutty flavor. You can also experiment with other types of cheese, such as Gruyère or provolone, to add different flavors to the dish.