Try this OLT Sandwich, delicious combination of cream cheese and tangy vinaigrette Veggies
Why I Love It
The story behind this recipe goes back to when my parents lived in Louisiana. My parents got married and moved to Louisiana for my father’s MBA. At the time, they live in student housing.
One day, their friendly neighbor invited them for lunch and offered a simple yet exciting twist to a cheese sandwich. Lettuce, Onion, and Tomato were marinated in olive oil, vinegar, and salt before joining toasted bread slices spread with cream cheese and sliced cheese.
When my mom took the first bite, she was impressed. She loved it so much with approval nodding, she said, “Interesting Sandwich!” and that is how the interesting sandwich came to be.
From that day on, the Interesting Sandwich has become one of my mom’s staple recipes for quick and delicious dinners at home.
We all love this recipe; I encourage you to try it out. It is super simple and delicious.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we
What Are The Ingredients
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- White Onion: I would recommend slicing the onions in a mandolin, the thinner sliced the better
- Iceberg Lettuce: you can also use Butter Lettuce for this recipe
- Tomato: I like my tomato thin sliced, but you can slice it to you preferred size.
- Bread: I use White sliced bread, but Sourdough Bread slices would also work perfectly as well.
- Cream Cheese: For the creamy texture
- Queso Fresco: In Dominican Republic we use “Queso San Juan” for this sandwich. But since we don’t have Queso San Juan in the states, the closest substitution I could find was Queso Fresco. If you are not able to find any of these options, you can add two slices o mozzarella cheese instead.
How to Make OLT Sandwich
Marinade Veggies: Mix the vinegar, olive oil, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the Lettuce, Tomato slices, and onion slices. Marinade for 5-10 minutes.
Toast Bread: Toast the bread and set aside.
Build Sandwich: Spread the Cream Cheese on bread slices, add slices of white cheese, and top with Lettuce, tomato, and onion.