Want to switch up your side dishes? Try creamy yuca mash! This recipe is a tasty and healthy alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
Why I Love It
Yuca, also known as cassava, is a starchy root vegetable that is a staple in Dominican Republic. Its mild, nutty flavor and creamy texture make it a versatile ingredient in a variety of dishes. One of the simplest and most delicious ways to prepare yuca is to mash it. In Santo Domingo, you can find Yuca Mash in almost every restaurant menu as a Side dish. Here, I’ll show you how to make my creamy rich and flavorful yuca mash that’s perfect as a side dish or as a base for other recipes. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
What Are The Ingredients
- Yuca: there is no substitute for this one if you make Yuca Mash. Make sure the yuca is fresh when you buy it.
- Butter: combined with heavy Cream, butter creates a smooth and savory yuca mash. It enhances flavor and richness.
- Heavy Cream: add a rich and creamy texture and flavor to the yuca mash.
- Parmesan Cheese: a complex, aged cheese with a nutty and salty flavor.
- Gruyere: a firm, nutty cheese with a slightly sweet flavor. It is perfect for Yuca Mash. But if you dislike Gruyere, you can substitute it for Emmental cheese or Fontina Cheese.
How To Make Creamy Yuca Mash
- Boil the Yuca: Peel the Yuca and cut it into large chunks. Be sure to remove the fibrous core in the center of the yuca, as it can be tough to chew. Place the yuca chunks in a large pot and covet them with water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Cook for 30-45 minutes or until the yuca is tender and easily pierces with a fork. Drain the water from the pot and transfer the cooked yuca to a food processor.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Make the Mash: In a food processor with the cooked yuca, add butter and heavy Cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well until you get a creamy texture.
- Bake: Pour the yuca mash into a baking dish. Top with Gruyere, mozzarella, and/or parmesan cheese, and bake for 10 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Remove from heat and wait 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve and Enjoy!